Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Spoaquin

I moved.

My first day in my new town I went to an event on Main St. to celebrate Washington's most honored LEED certified green building, platinum style, at the Saranac. I hung out with the Mayor of the city, Mary Verner... well, I stood next to her at least after her speech about further "greening" the city and the parks project and working toward an even more bike friendly atmosphere in light of a seven million dollar budget cut for 2010.

I was chatted up and openly sized up by a local lady looking for the best spot for me in her political agenda for optimizing her beloved city. She is the amazing, young and beautiful Mariah who has already recruited me to join her circle of feminist activists/do-gooders/rad bunch of lasses in general, the Shrinking Violets.

Dinner overlooking the falls was beautiful at sunset in the old Flour Mill building.

The next day I went to the post office and the library to get myself updated. Both the postal clerk and the librarian looked me up and smiled at me saying "Welcome home."

My childhood best friend moved as well, and on her birthday started a new job as the head pastry chef at Sante's. A gorgeous local foods French restaurant that invites studiers to hang. Other favs are: Cafe Marron, Zola's, and the Elk (where you can substitute Small Planet Tofu for any meat on the menu).

I've been going for groceries at Huckelberry's but can't wait for the Main Market Co-op to open grandly in the fall, I prematurely became a member back in May. Also there are Farmer's Market days Wednesdays and Saturdays.

On the schedule for the week is to scope out the nursing opportunities at one of the two hospitals in town; one I admire for its non-profit platform, and the other where I was born. I'm also hoping to start up a volunteer doula program in the labor & delivery unit at either hospital, can't wait to get involved in the doula community here!

Also, we'll stop in to see a film at the new and improved Magic Lantern Theatre, the city's historic film house where I once snuck in to see the Rocky Horror Picture Show as a pre-teen.

I live in a neighborhood called Peaceful Valley, come visit anytime!

2 comments:

Joey said...

Welcome home!

Audrey Simon said...

I'm so sad that you moved! :( It sounds like you are enjoying being back home again though. And you can't beat the cost of living!!! Next time up in Spokane I'll have to look you up. :)