Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"Our Culture is Our Resistance"



I LOVE having a bag full of the following items in my living room:

* receiving blankets, onesies, hats, teeny socks, and sleepers (x 40)
* stethoscope, sphygmomanometer, fetoscope, penlight and non-sterile gloves
* bottles and bottles of ibuprofen, prenatal vitamins, ferrous gluconate and syringes
* scrubs, self-filtering water bottles, arnica, expensive camera, sketchbook and journal (the real paper kind, not a computer)
* Call the Midwife, A Midwife's Tale, Where There Are No Doctors, a Spanish dictionary and The Glass Castle
* poncho from a friend who went last year for the afternoons when it drenches and pours
* an expectation that I will somehow get to experience a sweat lodge with one of the traditional Mayan midwives, comadronas, and learn more Spanish.
* passport


Wish me luck on yet another guaranteed-to-change-your-life-once-in-a-lifetime-experience-cultural-immersion-adventure.

PS. if you ever find yourself capable of acquiring any of the following items, I decided that I could probably use a regular income of these for future endeavors: onesies, receiving blankets, non-sterile gloves (smalls), prenatal vitamins, iron, ibuprofen, arnica (homeopathic), amoxicillin, metformin, glucophage, one touch test strips, or urine dip sticks. Save 'em for me, I promise to spread them around the world.

Cheers!


Photographs from the amazing and beautiful book Our Culture is Our Resistance: repression, refuge, and healing in Guatemala by Jonathan Moller.

7 comments:

C.Lee said...

Yay to our one-woman cultural revolutionary! Have a fine and productive time and come back soon.
Love, Ma

Lynette Pflueger said...

I thought you left yesterday?

Johanna said...

Wait... where are you going now, word-lady? I am not jealous. Not at all. Ha!

Elizabeth Rose said...

Oh honey. I miss you already. Can't wait to hear about all of it. Safe and adventurous travels to you.

Unknown said...

Have a great trip Jane! I loved seeing you and Joey in Seattle. Much love!

Chanel said...

JANE! is that what you're up to! oh my goodness you are amazing. I agree with C.Lee "one-woman cultural revolution", can I second that?

I can't wait to read more. LOVE YOU!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.