Saturday, January 17, 2009

I caught my first baby today!

Ok, now that the title has no doubt grabbed you--be forewarned that this post may indeed come across as a smidge gratuitous...


First things first, yes today I did catch a baby, my very first. Today my clinical nursing group had a lab for our OB studies. One station was "the birth" where a simulation mannequin births a sim-baby. Each patient has real pulses and can make real sounds, pretty cool nursy-techy stuff really. And, well among the group of us, someone had to be the baby-catcher. So there I was, and it was a little scary and very very exciting, even if everything was rubbery and bolted together.


Now, onto more thought-provoking matters of the vagina...


This glorious quote comes to mind: My Vagina Is Under-utilized.


A great friend said this to me one evening in Thailand, and later I experienced first hand what that might entail. In Bangkok there is an infamous event that is referred to as a Ping-Pong Show. Those who are proper, avid Tom Robbins' readers may be familiar--this was my source of course (Villa Incognito). But, as suspected this was certainly something to be seen to be believed. So I will leave out many a detail so that those interested may get the full experience for themselves one day. Though, as another dear friend said: Jane, I wouldn't go see a ping-pong show much like a wouldn't support zoos. Word.


What I do want to share with you all here is the amazingness that is the vagina. Apparently women (possibly only a select few) can extract a collection of razors, or open a glass Coke bottle, or indeed shoot ping-pong balls into a target (or sometimes the audience..) all with their vaginas! But I noticed something else, something very interesting among these women. The first couple of talented ladies had obvious Caesarean birth scars on their lower abdomens. I thought, oh no, I hope these ping-pong artists are not choosing a surgical birth for the sake of their demanding professions! The theory that your vagina never returns to normal after a vaginal birth is about to be further debunked with this rather unique example: as lo and behold the remainder of the vagicians had no surgical birth scars in combination with unequivocal evidence of a birth (stretchmarks and the post-delivery belly). I was so excited... that these women were using their vaginas to the utmost potential, taking on a great challenge and making a living off of their fantatic tissue integrity. It was a very rewarding ethnographical study to be sure.


There are no pictures to accompany this posting. Now that would be inappropriate.


Hmm, I think vagicians™ might be my new favorite word... I hereby coin it. Can I do that?

4 comments:

Cali Loves Seattle said...

I can't imagine anyone better taking on the role of baby catcher! And thank you for debunking the myths about the resiliency of the vagina :)

Audrey Simon said...

I really enjoyed the labs for mother-baby. It sounds like your experience went a little smoother than the one me and my lab partner had - our baby got stuck and wouldn't come out!

Nutrire Valetudo said...

You are wonderful! This is a great post :-)

Chanel said...

yes.. inappropriate photos. But the amazingness of versatile vaginas that still sticks in the corners of my mind.. oh Thailand.