Wednesday, December 24, 2008

I can't speak Vietnamese

I love Hanoi. I will absolutely venture back to this country. I had the absolute hardest time with the language, which has only further justified my need to return... someday. I have been very proud of myself for picking up a surprising handful of words and phrases, everywhere we go. But no matter how hard I tried, I could not convince anyone in Vietnam that I was attempting to speak in fact, their language.

Some of favorite moments were:

Dad approached by a classic shoe shine boy who leans in close and says "Very cheap, I shine your shoes, only one million dollars."

Marvelous pho, though vegetarian is rather unheard of, so I'm still very much looking forward to that cozy spot on the Ave back home, as well as of course the Taramind Tree on Jackson (the Little Saigon of Seattle.)

And my best vegetarian moment thus far in all my travels...
(Dad and I are planning a trip to Hu Long Bay which includes a meal.)

I say: I'm vegetarian.

Our booker says: OK, no problem, if you don't like the seafood you can have beef.

Me: Oh, but I'm vegetarian, I don't eat meat.

He: Oh, absolutely, no problem. If you don't like beef, we have chicken.

Me: I'm sorry, but I don't eat chicken, only vegetables.

He: Absolutely, we have everything, if you don't like chicken we have BEEF! (my emphasis)

There are many other reasons why I loved Vietnam, but for now here is my little snippet. Still without photographs*, but too bad!



Well, Happy Merry Christmas Eve to those out there practicing, and Happy Whatever-else to All, where ever you are. I cannot wait for snow in Seattle, despite what everyone says.

*These were added at a later date. Photographs of old propaganda posters, still ubiquitous.

1 comment:

Audrey Simon said...

Merry Christmas dear Jane! Have an amazing time with the rest of your travels and make sure to stay safe!