Monday, October 27, 2008

Peace Love & Mango Sticky Rice












Internal happiness is like dirty laundry, advises our organic farm Thai cooking instructor--already I feel like I'm going to be able to relate to this... "if you have a dirty shirt, you can't get it clean by adding clean shirts to it, it will just get everything else dirty. You must wash your shirt, wash, by hand, all the dirt off, and beneath will be what was there all along, your clean shirt!"

Roughly, but rather poetically, this means that happiness cannot be purchased with material things and wants and desires. Happiness is in there, and if it's not readily available to you, work on that a little, and soon enough, you'll find it.

Hmm, this reminds me of a joke:

What did the Dalai Lama say to the hot dog vendor?

"Make me one with everything!"

What did the hot dog vendor say to the Dalai Lama?

"That'll be two bucks."

The Dalai Lama hands the man a five, and waits.

...and waits, and says to the vendor "where's my change?"

And the man says to the Dalai Lama: "Change comes from within."

ps. Thank you to mom for so many rad opportunities together in Thailand on your visit, we did so much, and had a beautiful time--all three generations. I feel very lucky and truly happy--no need to wash any dirt off this happiness.

pps. Happy 57th wedding anniversary G & P and happy 75th birthday grammy!

1 comment:

Marc in the City said...

You take really great pictures, Jane. This is Marc, by they way, from Spokane. I now re-direct you to my now de-funked blog.